In this article, I’ll share the top five mobile eCommerce statistics. I have researched a lot and picked the most useful mobile eCommerce statistics out of a list of hundreds of statistics. These top mobile eCommerce statistics can help you a lot in your research.
Here are the key stats about mobile eCommerce:
- 3.56 trillion U.S. dollars worth of sales were recorded in 2021.
- Mobile shopping carts have an abandonment rate of 85.65 percent.
- Around 80 percent of mobile search traffic comes from Google.
- The global mobile coupon industry is projected to rise by 56.5 percent in 2025.
- Around 79 percent of smartphone users made an online purchase in the last six months.
These are the key statistics about mobile eCommerce. Continue reading the next section to take a brief overview of each mobile eCommerce Statistic.
On This Page
- 1 Top 5 Mobile eCommerce Statistics
- 1.1 1. 3.56 Trillion U.S. Dollars Worth of Sales Were Recorded in 2021.
- 1.2 2. Mobile Shopping Carts Have an Abandonment Rate of 85.65 Percent.
- 1.3 3. Around 80 Percent of Mobile Search Traffic Comes From Google.
- 1.4 4. Global Mobile Coupon Industry Is Projected To Rise by 56.5 Percent in 2025.
- 1.5 5. Around 79 Percent of Smartphones Users Made an Online Purchase in the Last Six Months.
- 2 Sources
Top 5 Mobile eCommerce Statistics
Here are the top five mobile eCommerce statistics.
1. 3.56 Trillion U.S. Dollars Worth of Sales Were Recorded in 2021.
(Source: Statista.com, eMarketer.com)
According to a report by Statista.com, 3.56 trillion U.S dollars worth of sales were recorded in 2021. In 2021, mobile phones contributed 72.9 percent to the eCommerce industry.
Researchers at eMarketers also reported a huge increase in the percentage of sales in the past few years. In 2017, retail eCommerce sales touched 2.3 trillion U.S. dollars, and 23.2 percent in 2018. In 2017, the share of smartphones in the eCommerce industry was 58.9 percent.
Image Credit: Statista.com
2. Mobile Shopping Carts Have an Abandonment Rate of 85.65 Percent.
According to the report by Barilliance.com, mobile devices have an 85.65 percent shopping cart abandonment rate. The researchers say mobile phones have the highest cart abandonment rates compared to tablets and desktops. This percentage was recorded in 2021. This percentage is applicable across all industries.
According to a report by Barilliance, they had recorded a 77.24 percent of cart abandonment rate in 2016. Then, it rose by a bit to 78.65 percent in 2017. Both studies indicate that the cart abandonment rate is constantly increasing with time.
Researchers have found various reasons behind the high shopping cart abandonment rate, such as lousy UI, slow delivery speed, trust issues with the websites, etc. The reports also stated that some users were just browsing the online stores. Their intent wasn’t to buy the products.
3. Around 80 Percent of Mobile Search Traffic Comes From Google.
According to research by Netmarketshare.com, around 80 percent of mobile search traffic comes from Google. At the same time, 16 percent of traffic comes from Baidu and 0.94 percent and 0.81 percent from Yahoo and Bing, respectively.
4. Global Mobile Coupon Industry Is Projected To Rise by 56.5 Percent in 2025.
(Source: Sleeknote.com, Orianresearch.com)
According to a report by Sleeknote.com, more than 25 million Americans used mobile coupons on shopping websites. eCommerce stores used mobile coupons to increase their online store’s engagement rate.
Another report by Orianresearch.com states that the global mobile coupon industry is projected to rise by 56.5 percent in 2025. They analyzed top companies like Apple, Google, Paypal, Visa, and more to come to this conclusion.
5. Around 79 Percent of Smartphones Users Made an Online Purchase in the Last Six Months.
As per a report by Outerboxdesign.com, around 79 percent of smartphone users made an online purchase in the last six months. Around three out of four people have used their mobile devices to purchase products in the last six months.